Lunt-Fontanne Theatre Tickets
Events at Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
Details of Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and the Ticket Luck value
Lunt fontanne Theatre
The Lunt-Fontanne theatre also ranks among the popular theatres. It is one of the Netherlander Organization"s nine Broadway theatres. The theatre has a capacity of 1,505 seats.
This theatre was initially inaugurated in 1910, and was commonly known as The Globe. The theatre became widely known for hosting various plays and musicals. However, by year 1932, the theatre became a movie house and crowds in large numbers would come to watch movies. The theatre boasted a roof that could open during summers, keeping the seats cool.
By the year 1958, the theatre went through revitalization and started legally hosting productions. Its first ever production was The Visit and starred famous acting couple, Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. The theatre was later named after them, Lunt-Fontanne. Crowds in huge numbers began to visit the theatre. The lobbies of the theatres had photographs of eminent actors.
Various artists shined in private productions hosted in this theatre and gained immense recognition throughout the world.In the years between 1932 and 1957, the theatre officially gained the status of a movie house.
Roger Stevens and Robert W. Dowling helped to restructure the theatre. The theatre now was given a look from the eighteenth-century. The opening ceremony of the theatre was done on a huge level, and the famous Lunts hosted the original play -The Visit.
This was the last time they acted in a show. Musicals stopped playing in the theatre and the theatre officially became a movie house. The last time a musical played was in 1932, by Jerome Kern and Otto Harbach. This musical played for 329 performances.
The most recent productions to be played was Titanic and the famous Midsummer Night"s Dream.
Design and Construction
The theatre was designed in a unique manner. The architecture of the roof was built in such a way that it could roll back and forth. This would let light come inside and help to keep the theatre cool.
Also facility was provided to keep seats cool with ice or keep them hot with vents underneath. Later, the theatre was transformed into a movie house which was operated by the Brandt chain. A lot of changes were made to shift it into a movie house.
Major changes included the elimination of the second balcony level and the original decor. The theatre now has a capacity of 1415 seats and is owned by the Netherlander organization.