John Golden Theatre Seating Plan
Details of John Golden Theatre and the Ticket Luck value
John Golden Theatre
The John Golden Theatre is a legitimate three theatre complex between Broadway and 8th Avenue in Theatre District neighborhood.
This traditional Broadway theatre is located at 252 West 45th Street (George Abbott Way) in midtown - Manhattan. The John Golden Theatre was initially built in 1927 as the Theatre Masque by real-estate tycoons, the Chanin Brothers.
The edifice was, at that time, designed as a part of a three theatre complex that also included the Royale (a mid-sized house) and the Majestic (a large house). With a seating capacity of only over 800, it is one of the smallest houses on Broadway.
The Theatre Masque, the most intimate of the three, was planned for serious dramas. Designed in a Moorish style along with the adjacent Royale Theatre by architect Herbert J. Krapp for Irwin Chanin, it opened as the Theater Masque on February 24 1927 with the play Puppets of Passion.
Seventy-six years after its inception, the John Golden theatre housed another production known for its puppets, the award-winning Avenue Q.
The Golden Theatre"s interior has a perceptibly strong Spanish influence similar to the Mission Revival style popular on the West Coast.
Interior features include rough plaster walls, wrought iron fixtures, spiraled columns, and ceiling arches. The exterior of the theatre was used as the location of the movie version of the film A Chorus Line.
The theatre is air conditioned and also equipped with an assisted listening system. Although the place offers wheelchair seating, however, there are no wheelchair accessible restrooms.
Restrooms are located down two flights of stairs. A pay phone is located in the lower lounge along with a water fountain in the same area. However, there are no steps into the theatre from the sidewalk.
The year 1930 witnessed the transfer of ownership of all three venues from the Chanins into the hands of the Shuberts. The year 1937 witnessed the renaming of the theatre after impresario John Golden when he assumed the theatre"s management.
The third playhouse bears his name - John Golden Theatre. The Shuberts took back control of the theatre in 1946. The theatre operated as a film house for two years before it was again restored to legitimacy in the late 1940s.
Since then, the theatre has hosted numerous theatricals and dramas. Notable productions of the theatre include the following:1933: Tobacco Road 1941: Angel Street 1956: Waiting for Godot 1958: Look Back in Anger ; A Party with Betty Comden and Adolph Green 1959: At the Drop of a Hat 1960: An Evening with Mike Nichols and Elaine May 1961: An Evening with Yves Montand 1962: Beyond the Fringe 1971: You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown 1972: Sticks and Bones 1975: P. S. Your Cat Is Dead! 1977: The Gin Game 1980: A Day in Hollywood / a Night in the Ukraine; Tintypes 1981: Crimes of the Heart 1983: 'night, Mother 1984: Glengarry Glen Ross 1992: Falsettos 1995: Master Class 1998: Side Man 2002: The Goat or who is Sylvia? 2003: Avenue Q